You need to know:
Climate Time machine:
Use this weblink to explore NASAs interactive resources on climate change. Literally everything you could ever want to know is available on this site!
Some of the human causes include:
- CFCs released by aeosols trap heat in atmosphere
- Cattle farming releases methane via cow burps
- Burning of forests releases CO2 and also removes a way of storing CO2
- Cars and factories release SO2 and CO into atmosphere
Some of the physical causes include:
- Sun spots release more short wave radiation to earth heating it up.
- Volcanoes release ash which can trap heat in.
- Melting of ice reduces reflective surface and reveals dark sea which absorbs more heat.
Some of the impacts of global warming include:
- Sea levels rise when ice on land melts and flows into the sea.
- Habitats are lost and species such as Polar Bears are threatened.
- increased rainfall can increase harvests in some countries.
- deserts grow due to increased temperatures.
- forest fires are more common.
Some of the solutions to global warming include:
- Painting rooftops white to reflect heat.
- Planting trees to absorb CO2.
- Kyoto protocal
- Doha Ammendment
- Catalytic converters on cars to reduce pollution
- Solar power, wind power and tidal power
- Reduce usage of fossil fuels - nuclear power
- Ban use of CFCs in aerosols